So you want to add a post or page to your WordPress powered website? Follow these simple steps below for a happy posting experience!
- Log into your site. While you’re still on your blog’s home page, scroll down to the Login link in the lower right-hand side of the sidebar. Click on the link.You should now be looking at your login page.
- Now enter your username and password.
- You are now looking at the “Dashboard.” Sometimes, bloggers refer to this as the back-end. The front-end is what your readers see—your normal website. The back-end is what you see—how you control what appears on the front-end.
- Write your first post. Click on the Posts | Add New option in the left-hand side menu. You should now see the New Post screen.
- You will then see the Post (or page) window screen appear
- Enter the title of your post, perhaps something like, “Welcome to My website!” (I know, simple?)
- Now write your first post in the field directly below the title. Perhaps you could explain why you are starting your blog, the topics you plan to write about, and how often you intend to post. (Tip: under-promise and over-deliver).
- Now to add an image – Click on the ‘Add Media’ button and select the image or upload the image you want to appear. You can justify the image as centre, right or left. Try to keep images at 250×250 but once added you can adjust the size by clicking on the image and resize like you would in PowerPoint.
- Now it is also key to add a featured image. This is the thumbnail picture that you will see on your pages for the post. In the bottom right of the post page you will see this on the image belowSet the featured image by simply selecting the image you want people to see. Normally the same image you have for your post. PLEASE BE AWARE that square images are better for thumbnails and aim for 125×125 ideally so that the website can show the whole image.
- Now to categorise and tag the post.
- Click on the category that you want this post to be associated with (you can click on more than one but be aware that your post will then be duplicating on the website).
- Also add tags – write the words you want to use – examples – London, Fashion, Health, Advice, <the name of the author> or click on most used tags and select some of these.
- Now click the Publish button. This literally publishes your post for the world to see. You can click on the Preview Changes button to see it before you publish but now you are live!
Congratulations! You have just published your first post!
Bookmark your website admin page. You’ll want to come back to your backend on a regular basis, so it’s a good idea to bookmark the two main pages: the front-end and the back-end.
In case, you have already closed the page to the back-end, you can re-open it by going to: http://[the name of your website]/wp-admin.
You can also see many other step by step guides on our FiddyDesign.com videos. Each detailing how you add pages, meta, videos and other great things.